Friday, January 18, 2013

New bags for new knitters...and a little more

I didn't get a whole lot done this week.  I was preparing for the first class of my next session of knitting.  I had 6 new students and 9 returning students.  Whew!!
 I made 7 bags and since I have two new boys, I made 2 of them with capri sun handles instead of ribbon.  The class was on Wednesday and it went really well.  The returning students were very excited to show me what they had been working on and the new students were very quick to learn.  One of the boys (a kindergartener) had the most trouble and I was worried that he was going to be frustrated.  So I asked his mom if he could meet me Thursday after school for a little bit so I could work on him one on one.  She said yes and after about half an hour, he is knitting!!  You should have seen the lightbulb go on in his brain - he was practically vibrating with excitement!
 This is something new I picked up while we were in Monterey.  Wherever we go, I just HAVE to visit the LYS and see what is there.  The Twisted Stitch was a little sparse.  Not very much yarn.  The owner was very nice and she was working on several lovely project, but did not have the yarn or the patterns for any of them.  Ditto for most of her samples.  I knew that she most definitely could teach me something and I always want to support the LYS.  She was working on a very pretty white on white shawl - I started asking her all about it and she told me who she was making it for and since I had never seen the stitch, she explained all about that as well.  I then asked if she had any appropriate yarns in her shop, that I would like to experiment with that stitch.  She helped me to pick two yarns - a very fine lace weight - and a chunky variegated yarn - and I learned a new stitch!!  "Scribble Lace" - I'm not sure it can be considered true lace as this is  the garter stitch, but it is pretty and when it gets a little longer, the weight of the chunky yarn will pull down and open up the rows of lace weight yarn.  It should be very pretty.
I finished this little circle loom hat for a new little cousin born to our family.  She is just the cutest little thing - 5 months old - and so smiley and cuddly!!  The proud parents let her be passed around to all the kids and boy could you see the love and admiration just rolling off of them!!  Kudos go to the new first time parents for letting 7 children play pass the baby - although I kept a close look out to make sure nothing went amiss.

Sharing with FO Friday, Fiber Arts Friday, Creative Friday, I've Made Friday, Keep Calm and Craft On, Fluster's Creative Muster, and Patchwork Times.  The links are all on my side bar.

9 comments:

Maria said...

I just LOVE those bags!!! Great job!

Unknown said...

beautiful little hat...nice color changes.

TracyAnn from www.crochethappy.com and http://asktracyann.crochethappy.com

Michelle said...

Awe. I'm so excited that you were able to help that little boy have his "ah ha" moment with knitting. It's really cool that you're teaching so many little ones.

Babajeza said...

You've made bags for your students? So great! I hope they appreciate your work. Have a nice weekend. Regula

Word Lily said...

Scribble lace is fun! I agree, it's a blast to visit LYSs when traveling.

Judy S. said...

I love to visit yarn shops on our trips also. Yarn travels so well....

WonderWhyGal said...

Those bags are great gifts. I agree, LYS should always be a part of any visit to a new town.

Anonymous said...

those bags are so neat, I am sure the kids just love them!

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

I love the bags!!